Helping Young Lives from the Foul Line

Written by Alexis Alfano |

Swoosh for Change has grown tremendously over the past 5 years. The class of 2014 founded the event in 2012 when the students were sophomores. This will be the 5th annual Swoosh basketball game between the teachers and students.

This year half of the proceeds will go to the Kids of America’s Heroes. This helps children with mothers and fathers in the military. This supports their needs for food and toys. Library Media Specialist Shannon Robinson helps Mrs. Hagness teach the Husky Leaders who are organizing Swoosh for Change.  Mrs. Robinson thinks that this charity is appropriate. She says, “We always wanted to do something in reference to wounded warriors, but we try to always pick a charity on the local level.” By picking something on the local level it brings a lot of attention to the event because everyone is able to know what the event is about, as well as being able to come together to support.

Ms. Maria Phillips and Ms. Anna Recine both have children in the Clinton Public School system. Ms. Recine is the education consultant and Ms. Phillips is the program manager of KOAH, not only on the local level but also on the national level. Ms. Phillips organizes events, improves the performance of the organization and monitors projects and fundraisers.

Swoosh for ChangeLast year Swoosh for Change raised $3,477 and about 650 people showed up. We plan on having an even bigger outcome than last year in our brand new school. Senior Zach McCray when asked what he thought of the event said,  “yes – successful” He thought this because “a lot of people went to the games, and the people who played had a lot of fun and would do it again.” Each year it seems to be growing in the amount of money that is raised and a number of people that attend. Senior Sydney Chomicz said, “I remember my freshman year there was a really huge turnout, and that class of seniors was really involved and really friendly with the underclassman.”

The Morgan School is known for being a family. Hosting an event like this every year shows how we can all come together as a community, not only the students but also the teachers along with the families in this town. Mrs. Hagness, who always states how this entire town is one big family said, “we have broadened the show to all schools now.” This is Pierson’s second year being involved. They will continue this new tradition with their Bounce to the Beat halftime show, and this year they will be joined by the Eliot cheerleading squad. We supSwoosh for Changeport each and every person. Knowing that we have a community this strong can make a difference to any family.

On Friday, March 24, 2017, in The Morgan School gymnasium, students, faculty, and families will be able to watch and contribute to this great cause. The game starts at 7, but the doors will be open at 6:30. There will be a kickoff at 6:45 when teams will be announced. Admission to the game is $5 and the family cap is $25.
We look forward to seeing everyone there supporting this great cause!