Extinction Stinks

Extinction+Stinks

Written by Maggie LaCross|

Pollution, global warming, and endangered species are no match for the newest addition to Morgan clubs. The Environmental club here at Morgan is taking strides to create a school movement that will encourage students and faculty to “Go Green”. The students in this club battle the most prevalent ecological issues while being led by Science teacher, Karen Kaestle, and the outspoken club president Senior Amanda Thompson. Amanda assembled a team of Morgan’s finest to collaborate ideas that combat environmental destruction.

Amanda’s tire cover proudly displays anti extinction propaganda

Amanda a.k.a “Panda”, eats, sleeps, and breathes anything involving the environment. She is known for sharing random ocean facts with her friends and even worked one summer giving tours at the Mystic Aquarium, so it’s no surprise that when I asked her what the most prevalent environmental problem is she quickly replied “the ocean“.

IMG_2688 (1)
    Amanda’s kitchen cabinet is home to a ‘recycling friendly’ sheet

The environmental club has been working the past couple months to put together a compost pile. It is “up and running” according to Mrs.Kaestle, following a crisis when an excessive amount of compost left worms overwhelmed. Mrs. Kaestle hopes that the new school will bring changes in the way students here at Morgan treat the environment, perhaps eliminating the use of plastic water bottles completely.

Mrs.Kaestle is happy to be running the club because she thinks it is such a great group of students. She is disappointed that they can’t meet more frequently because the students in the club are so involved in other things. She feels that teaching about the environment is significant to everyone’s lives, and she wants to show students that they can make a difference.

The Environmental club's compost pile is in Mrs.Kaestle's room
    The Environmental club’s compost pile is in Mrs.Kaestle’s room

Environmental club meets during advisory on club days. Unfortunately since clubs haven’t met during advisory in a while, the club hasn’t had a lot of time to plan out upcoming events. Mrs.Kaestle is in the process of “mustering up” a group to take with her in the Spring to clean up the Clinton Town Beach. She is hopeful that the concern of Morgan students will help to make the world a better place. In the words of the Lorax: “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not.”