Hoop There It Is: Boys Basketball 2015-2016

Written by Meghan Schulze and Meg Falcone  |

The varsity boys basketball players agree that the season was off to a shaky start with 3 losses for the first games. They then made a comeback with 5 wins.

The Junior Varsity players agree that they “definitely had a better start than last year.”

basketball hoopSeniors Mike Murray and Anthony Choronzy agree their favorite game was beating Old Saybrook in States last season. Senior Will Fritz says his favorite game was the championship game for travel basketball in 8th grade while Senior Chucky Kosteck’s favorite was “Westbrook when we came back down from 20 in the 4th quarter to win.”

Sophomores Matt Newfield and Tony Coretti’s favorite game was during the Valley Clutch Game for Travel basketball in 7th grade.

The most points Mike scored was 27 points in one game. Anthony scored 12 points in one game.

As for JV players, in one game Matt has scored between 12-14 points, Tony has scored 8 points, and Sophomore Henry Southwood has scored about 4 points in one game.

WIll FritzWhen asked why the players choose their number, Mike says he originally “wanted 11 and the closest number was 10, and it stuck.” Anthony has been number 3 since he was about 8 years old. Will chose number 00 because “it is just an awesome number” while Chucky wears 32 because that is the number he was given his freshman year.

Matt chose number 22 because it is one number under his soccer number, while Tony and Henry did not have a choice.

Mike and Anthony have been playing basketball since they were about 9 or 10 years old. While Chucky has been playing for about 10 years, and Will has been playing since first grade.

Their favorite part about basketball is the comradery, “chillin’ with the guys” after a win and “Mike’s mustache” according to Anthony.