An Oppourtunity For Life

Written by Tyler Ayotte |

As a junior member of the Clinton Fire Department, I have learned useful life skills, perhaps even more useful than anything I have learned in school. The Clinton Fire Department has been like a 2nd home to me for the past two years. Not only have they put me through training for an emergency medical technician license (EMT) at the Guilford Fire Department with John Planas, and for my emergency medical responder certification at the Clinton Fire Department with John Batista, but they have also given me the experience of answering both fire and medical calls.  As a junior, I am limited because I cannot respond to calls on the highway and because  what I can do on calls is regulated by the Rules for Cadet/Junior Volunteer Firefighter Programs.  This experience will still be useful to me during my career in the future. When I get out of high school, my goal is to go to college to receive my associates degree in Fire Science and Administration and receive my paramedic license. With this training, I would ultimately want to become a Firefighter/Paramedic in a fire department in a big city like New York or Chicago. I feel that the Clinton Fire Department has done a great job training me for this difficult career, and I look forward to spending my senior year continuing to train with them and practice as a junior member of the Clinton Fire Department.