The New Morgan Team Makes a Splash

Junior leader Alexis Alfano and senior captain Jayde Forbes

Written by Emma Riccio |

Tori Barron swim
Junior Tori Barron swims the 400 relay

This year, a new Morgan team emerged- Morgan girls swimming. The team has been around for four years, but they had always been part of the HK swim team. Senior Jayde Forbes,  the swim captain, knows what it was like before gaining their own individual team. “I joined the team when I was a freshman. I basically started it.” She revealed something many of you may not know. “There was previously a boys team, but it ended within one or two years. There was only one girl who swam for Morgan the year I was in eighth grade. She didn’t actually compete.”

Jayde had been swimming for a while and really wanted to swim in high school, so she took the initiative. “I emailed Haddam-Killingworth and clarified everything with their athletic directors and joined their team, in a sense. I still represented Morgan.” Jayde was the only Morgan student to swim with HK until her sophomore year. They were finally gaining swimmers. Now juniors, Juliana Ragonese and Lauren Bousquet joined their freshman year.

This year, Morgan Swim became its own independent team, but they had to go through a lot of trouble. “We had trouble finding a new coach which was very aggravating all summer, but now we have one,” Jayde said, sounding relieved. The new coach is Dana Sherwonit of Clinton. She sometimes subs at Morgan. Jayde explains the difference now that they are their own team. “We have our own team, our own practices, our own pasta dinners and events. We’re not as involved with HK as we were before.”

The girls on the 2015 Morgan girls swim team are senior Jayde Forbes (captain), senior Paige Koziy (co-captain), junior Alexis Alfano (junior leader), junior Lauren Bousquet, junior Tori Barron, and sophomore Emma Riccio. Morgan just had their first home meet on Tuesday, September 29th against Holy Cross. They did well and swam a relay- a 400 free relay and also 200 free relay.

The next home meet will be at HK high school at 4:00 against Windsor Locks/Ellington/East Granby on Monday, October 5. Come out and support the team!

Swim Schedule
Swim Schedule