An Opportunity for Teen Writers: Henry Carter Hull’s Teen Writing Club

Author Leslie Connor and Freshman Shelby Alfano

Written by Shelby Alfano |

Henry Carter Hull Library is known for not only its books but also its activities and teen programs. One in particular is coming up quickly this month.  Henry Carter Hull Library is hosting a Teen Writing Club, a 6-week program on Mondays from 3:15-4:30, October 27, November 3, 10, 17, 24, and December 1.

It’s not only an opportunity to write what you want, but an opportunity to also meet an Award-Winning Connecticut Author, Leslie Connor. Leslie Connor will provide writing prompts and help you with your writing. Leslie Connor is the author of Waiting for Normal, Crunch, Miss Birdie Chose a Shovel, and Dead on Town Line. She’s also giving out signed copies of her newest book, The Things You Kiss Goodbye that came out June 24, 2014.

Cathleen Cole, a Young Adult Librarian at the Henry Carter Hull Library,  described the Teen Writing Program: “It’s where teens can explore things they have written or want to write and have it be critiqued. It’s where you can meet new people and feel comfortable around them because they’re like you.” Although this is the first time the library is running this program, Cole said that if it’s successful, she’d have more authors participate in the program.

Cole explained how teens will benefit from the program: “You’d get a direct interaction with an amazing writer, help making your writing better, and help finding your voice.”

Leslie Connor explained her role in the program, “I joined the writing workshop as a local working writer and guide. I’m not a teacher. My goal is always to help teen writers develop a sense of community, centered around their creative writing practice. They’ll have the opportunity to feel heard and to contribute in a safe space that belongs to every participant.” She said that growing up as a teen, she would’ve wanted to have an opportunity like this, “to explore creativity.”

Connor also said what she wants to accomplish by helping teens in this program, “I’m hoping to encourage writers to take a break from the rigors of the school day! This is a chance to write about what matters to you using language, sounds, and rhythms that resonate for you. No worries about grades!” If you are not able to make it to the program this year, she also gave out advice that she will give out at the program, “Keep a daily journal. Consider using an old fashion paper one, where your pen or pencil makes contact with the surface. Write a haiku, react to a poem, or express a perspective all your own. Put down ideas for a future poem, lyric, short story, or novel and build ideas into sentences and scenes. If you are artistically inclined, use unlined paper so you can sketch alongside your writing.”

You can register at Teen Writing Club. It’s free of charge for Clinton teens. For more information on this program, you can go to the Henry Carter Hull Library Facebook page.